College of Engineering - Mechanical Engineering
The Department of Mechanical Engineering was established in 1964, and the program was extended to the evening school in 1972. The graduate program was initiated in 1980.
The Department has three degree levels. The undergraduate program, leading to a Bachelor of Science degree, is designed to provide high quality engineering training that allows each student as much flexibility as possible to pursue his(her) interest and to develop his(her) capabilities. After graduation, students find employment in all sectors from the government to the private, and from industrial to consulting.
The graduate program, leading to a Master of Engineering degree and a Doctor of Philosophy degree, is designed to provide a broad perspective and mastery of fundamentals through a required sequence in advanced mathematical analyses and through emphases in three areas :
- Thermofluid Science,
- Solid Mechanics and design,
- Control and Manufacturing
Each student is trained to develop the ability to perform independent research and to develop appropriate professionalism in the field of Mechanical Engineering.
Throughout the various programs, substantial emphasis is placed on the development of systematic procedures for analysis, effective communication skills, practical aspects in design, and on the responsible use of technology. This can provide students with an approach and a philosophy of great utility, irrespective of their ultimate career.
|2012||Kao-Shong Wu||1971||General Manager of the Formosa Heavy Industries corp.|
|2010||Feng-Hsiang Hsieh||1972||Vice President of the Beijing Fengshou Wine Co.,Ltd & President of the Dong Hsun Hsin Trading Co., LTD|
|2010||Ju-Chia KUO||1984||Program Manager & Research Fellow of the Energy and Environment Research Laboratories Industrial Technology Research Institute
Executive Director of the Ministry of Economic Affairs carbon reduction technical service team
|2009||Tien-Tzu Shen||1969||President of the Sanpolo Computer Equipment Co., LTD|
|2009||Ming-Hsien Shen||1970||President of the Cheer Educational Institution|
|2005||Feng-Shuh Dai||1973||Executive Director & Chief Operation Officer of the FIH Mobile Limited|
|2004||Wen-Chung Liao||1969||Executive Vice President of the CTCI Corporation
Honorary Chairman of the E&C Engineering Corporation
Aim The department focuses on teaching the relative ideas of diversification, internationalization and automation. The two features of our department are:
- Combine theory and practice.
- Keep updating the course content according to the industry nowadays.
These two features aim for making students learn the technology which the mechanic and relative industries need now and future.
Mission We provide a fully developed education of mechanical engineering, for graduated students to understand it deeply and apply the science ideas. Moreover, we hope that graduated students can encourage the development of finance for promoting people`s living quality by academic instruction and research results.
Our mission is to make the students become excellent mechanical engineering experts. The learning goal of the students is to be proficient in the foundations of the mechanical engineering field after graduation from CYME. Our education objectives include the following tasks:
- To teach students how to apply the principles of mathematics, science, and engineering to solving mechanical engineering problems.
Graduates will have:
- The ability to identify, formulate and solve the engineering problems based on the knowledge of mathematics and physics.
- The ability to analyze and design the machinery, electrical machinery, control and thermal-fluidic systems.
- The ability to use the techniques and skills associated with the modern computing equipment and engineering tools required for the field of study.
- The ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as analyze and interpret data.
Graduates will have:
- The ability to conduct engineering analysis.
- The ability to plan, organize and direct engineering projects.
- The communicative ability of oral and paper presentations.
- The cognition and responsibility of applying professional knowledge and ethics.
- The ability to perform interdisciplinary teamwork.
Graduates will have:
- The ability to play an engineering role in the modern society.
- The ability to appreciate the different cultures and art.
- The ability to be proficient in more than one language in field of study.
Students from the Graduate Program will have:
- The ability to create and think individually, as well as solve problems in the engineering and scientific fields.
- The ability to write professional reports and papers for publication.
Department of Mechanical Engineering was established in August, 1964, which has a long history. There are undergraduate and graduate programs, both focus on theory and practice. The content of every course will be updated based on the development of industry and technology, and it also launches international studying programs for connecting with the world. Moreover, the department emphasizes in working on visionary and diverse engineering academic sections, in order to encourage the development of technology and finance. Also to contribute to our country and society by resources of engineering studies and research results.
Plans for teaching
- To make sure the quality of teaching team; and to review the programs and courses regularly
- To strengthen the education of programs.
- To fulfill the program of green power and production technology.
- To advance the program of applied science with computer and internet.
- To advance the program of micrometer/nanometer mechatronics.
- To strive for having the program of Bioengineering with other departments’ help.
- To enhance the fundamental education of advanced productive technology.
- To update the fundamental teaching materials and equipments, as well as advance digital learning.
- To revise the practicum.
- To strengthen the safety education.
- To train the internationalization experts and to advance the international communication.
Plans for research
- To establish the cooperation with other universities in Taiwan and overseas.
- To develop some main subjects including applied science with computer and internet, micrometer/nanometer mechatronics, green power and production technology, Bioengineering, and advanced productive technology.
- To increase the quality and the quantity of researchers.
- To encourage cooperative research, enhance research quality and increase the academic reputation.
The basic requirements for a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering specify that a student needs to finish the curriculum of 139 semester hours which includes required 114 semester credits and 25 credits of elective courses.Required Credits for Graduation
Minimum Credits for Graduation
1. General Core Courses
2. Professional Core Courses
3. Professional Elective Courses
|at least 24|
4. Elective Courses for General Education
A minimum of 30 graduate credits is required. Of these 30 credits, 6 are required for the thesis. A final oral examination is also mandatory.
A minimum of 36 graduate credits, in addition to those taken for the master`s degree program, is required. Included in these 36 credits are 12 required for the Ph.D. dissertation.
Qualifying exams are given in the following areas:
- Thermo fluids: Convective Heat Transfer, Radiation Heat Transfer, Advanced Fluid Dynamics, and Advanced Thermodynamics.
- Solid Mechanics and Design: Elasticity, Advanced Mechanisms, CAD/CAM, Advanced Vibration, Experimental Stress Analysis.
- Control and Manufacturing: Digital Control, Optimal Estimation Theory, Optimal Control, System Dynamics, Linear System.