College of Engineering - Mechanical Engineering
The graduate program, leading to a Master of Engineering degree and a Doctor of Philosophy degree, is designed to provide a broad perspective and mastery of fundamentals through a required sequence in advanced mathematical analyses and through emphases in the following three areas :
- Thermal Fluid Science
- Solid Mechanics and Design
- Control and Manufacturing
Each student is trained to develop the ability to perform independent research and to build up appropriate professionalism in the field of Mechanical Engineering.
Throughout the various programs, substantial emphasis is placed on the development of systematic procedures for analysis, effective communication skills, practical aspects in design, and on the responsible use of technology. This can provide students with an approach and a philosophy of great utility, irrespective of their ultimate career.
|2015||CHEN,PI-CHUAN||1972||Chairman of CTCI Corp. in Malaysia|
|2014||CHOU,WEI-LI||1972||CEO/President of Sunperfect Solar, Inc. in USA|
|2013||HSIANG,FU-CHI||1984||Chairman of Darwin Precisions L Corp.|
|2012||KAO-SHOUNG WU||1971||General Manager of Formosa Heavy Industries Corp.|
|2010||FONG-HSIANG HSIEH||1972||Vice President of Beijing Fengshou Wine Co.,Ltd & President of Dong Hsun Hsin Trading Co., LTD|
|2010||JU-CHIA KUO||1984||Program Manager & Research Fellow of Energy and Environment Research Laboratories Industrial Technology Research Institute
Executive Director of Ministry of Economic Affairs carbon reduction technical service team
|2009||TIEN-TZU SHON||1969||President of Sanpolo Computer Equipment Co., LTD|
|2009||MING-HSIEN SHEN||1970||President of Cheer Educational Institution|
|2005||FONG-SHUH DAI||1973||Executive Director & Chief Operation Officer of FIH Mobile Limited|
|2004||WEN-CHUNG LIAO||1969||Executive Vice President of CTCI Corporation
Honorary Chairman of E&C Engineering Corporation
Aim The department focuses on teaching the relative ideas of diversification, internationalization and automation. The two features of our department are:
- Combine theory and practice.
- Keep updating the course content according to nowadays industry.
These two features aim at making students to learn the technology which the mechanic and relative industries need now and future.
Mission We provide a fully developed education of mechanical engineering, for graduated students to understand it deeply and apply the science ideas. Moreover, we hope that graduated students can encourage the development of finance for promoting people`s living quality by academic instruction and research results.
Our mission is to make the students become excellent mechanical engineering experts. The learning goal of the students is to be proficient in the foundations of the mechanical engineering field after graduation from CYME. Our education objectives include the following tasks:
- To teach students how to apply the principles of mathematics, science, and engineering to solving mechanical engineering problems.
Graduates will have:
- The ability to identify, formulate and solve the engineering problems based on the knowledge of mathematics and physics.
- The ability to analyze and design the machinery, electrical machinery, control and thermal-fluidic systems.
- The ability to use the techniques and skills associated with the modern computing equipment and engineering tools required for the field of study.
- The ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as analyze and interpret data.
Graduates will have:
- The ability to conduct engineering analysis.
- The ability to plan, organize and direct engineering projects.
- The communicative ability of oral and paper presentations.
- The cognition and responsibility of applying professional knowledge and ethics.
- The ability to perform interdisciplinary teamwork.
Graduates will have:
- The ability to play an engineering role in the modern society.
- The ability to appreciate the different cultures and art.
- The ability to be proficient in more than one language in field of study.
Students from the Graduate Program will have:
- The ability to create and think individually, as well as solve problems in the engineering and scientific fields.
- The ability to write professional reports and papers for publication.
Department of Mechanical Engineering was established in August, 1964, which has a long history. There are undergraduate and graduate programs, both focus on theory and practice. The content of every course will be updated based on the development of industry and technology, and it also launches international studying programs for connecting with the world. Moreover, the department emphasizes in working on visionary and diverse engineering academic sections, in order to encourage the development of technology and finance. Also to contribute to our country and society by resources of engineering studies and research results.
Plans for teaching
- To make sure the quality of teaching team; and to review the programs and courses regularly
- To strengthen the education of programs.
- To fulfill the program of green power and production technology.
- To advance the program of applied science with computer and internet.
- To advance the program of micrometer/nanometer mechatronics.
- To strive for having the program of Bioengineering with other departments’ help.
- To enhance the fundamental education of advanced productive technology.
- To update the fundamental teaching materials and equipments, as well as advance digital learning.
- To revise the practicum.
- To strengthen the safety education.
- To train the internationalization experts and to advance the international communication.
Plans for research
- To establish the cooperation with other universities in Taiwan and overseas.
- To develop some main subjects including applied science with computer and internet, micrometer/nanometer mechatronics, green power and production technology, Bioengineering, and advanced productive technology.
- To increase the quality and the quantity of researchers.
- To encourage cooperative research, enhance research quality and increase the academic reputation.
The basic requirements for a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering specify that a student needs to finish the curriculum of 139 semester hours which includes required 114 semester credits and 25 credits of elective courses.
Required Credits for Graduation
|Minimum Credits for Graduation||138|
|Course Type||Credit Number|
|General Core Courses||20|
|Professional Core Courses||81|
|Professional Elective Courses||at least 23|
|Elective Courses for General Education||14|
A minimum of 30 graduate credits is required. Of these 30 credits, 6 are required for the thesis. A final oral examination is also mandatory.
A minimum of 36 graduate credits, in addition to those taken for the master`s degree program, is required. Included in these 36 credits are 12 required for the Ph.D. dissertation.
Qualifying exams are given in the following areas:
- Thermo fluids: Convective Heat Transfer, Radiation Heat Transfer, Advanced Fluid Dynamics, and Advanced Thermodynamics.
- Solid Mechanics and Design: Elasticity, Advanced Mechanisms, CAD/CAM, Advanced Vibration, Experimental Stress Analysis.
- Control and Manufacturing: Digital Control, Optimal Estimation Theory, Optimal Control, System Dynamics, Linear System.