College of Business - Information Managementwebsite Link
The department currently has 473 undergraduate students, 46 Master`s students, and 88 EMBA students enrolled.
A chronical review of the major developmental events is as following:
- 1987: The department was founded as a one-class department by former president of the university Dr. Chang Guang-Cheng under the College of Business. Dr. Chang is also the first chairperson of the department.
- 1988: The department started recruiting two classes annually.
- 1996: The department implemented an innovative adjustment project in instruction and student counseling to ensure the graduates to meet the needs of the needs of the enterprise environment and the development of information technology.
- 1997: The department moved to the current location. with independent building and more equipment and space for better quality of education.t
- 1998: The Master`s Program in Information Management was established.
- 2000: The EMBA Program in Information Management was established. This initiative made the department complete as an institute in the cultivation of high-end information management workforce. The “Website Management Research Center”, the first in its kind in the nation, was established for better cooperation with the industry and promotion of the department.
- 2000: The department started promoting e-service. The major efforts were in the areas of elementary schools and social/overseas e-service.t
- 2001: The department established “ERP Research Center”, “CRM Research Center”, “Data Mining Research Center”, “Knowledge Management Research Center”, “e-Learning Research Center”, “Cross-Platform Information and System Integration Lab.” The purpose was to actively elevate the department`s capacity in practice and research.
- 2007: The department started promoting e-entrepreneurship. The e-Entrepreneurship Lab was established to provide students opportunities practicing e-commerce.
The mission of our department is to nurture professional personnel of information systems in business context. Based on the misssion, our students have to own both technical and managerial skills. Especially in the era of electronic business, the student major in management information systems become very popular. We believe our students are unique, so we encourage our students to bring their talent to reach self`s objectives. We emphasize both theoretical and practical aspects, so the project of systems development is our focus. We hope our students become innovate manager that integrate information technology and managerial skills.
- Educational Mission
The instructional goals of the department include the following two levels: To help the students fully use their potentials 1. The Department of Information Management believes that every student enrolled in the department is a unique individual. To understand each student`s ability and help them to fully use their potential is the success of the department. To respect each student`s unique capacity, to help them use their best potential is success.
2. To cultivate information management human resource for the development of the nation
br> Whether in software, hardware resources, curriculum planning, and the recruitment of faculty members, the department has to meet the current trends such as Web development, automation, and localizatio
- To train students to design information systems for practical application.
- To prepare students for performing information management activities by integrating information techniques and management theorie
- To support the University and surrounding area with our information management specialty.
- Educational Objective
"It aims to develop the student’s three capabilities:
- Integration capability-The students need to have a command of the integration of information technology and management theories to form effective resolutions to solve information management problems, and to be unconfined by status quo.
- Cross-domain capability-Amid the globalization trend, the students need to be well versed in regional problems, and be able to provide local information management support with a global perspective.
- Technological capability-The students need to have a command of essential technical know-how when implementing an information system solution, including the capabilities to analyze, design, and manage.
In future, our prospects have two aspects, including "digital service" and "innovative technology and application in e-Business". The objective of digital service is to utilize information technology to assist nonprofit organizations to grow up and strong. The objective of innovative technology and application in e-Business is to utilize information technology to assist business to make more profit
- To integrate local and foreign digital service resources: The digital service program has already achieved significantly fruitful results. More than being a pioneering department in digital service, it has also accumulated significant digital service resources. With the program proven to integrate many case examples and experiences, there are plans to combine international digital service resources that would expand the propensity of its influence.
- To strengthen the industry-academic collaboration platform: By emphasizing a hands-on education,the department has successfully achieved fine industrial-academic collaborative results in the past. The department’s under graduate thesis con sistently incorporates industrial applications, through which to develop business information systems catering to businesses needs.There are plans in the future to offer industry-academic internship courses that would serve to expand the scope of industry-academic cooperation.
- To cultivate the students’ entrepreneurialspirits:In support of the school’s educational objectives of innovation, creativity and entrepreneurship education, the introduction of the startup internship program that collaborates with businesses launched by the school’s students harbors a feedback venue on startup experience and the management system. This facilitates students in experiencing the startup process to improve their entrepreneurial desire and action through a comprehensive experiential setting that helps to achieve these educational objectives, while raising the school’s popularity and competitiveness through the students’ successful startup ventures.
To graduate with a Bachelor of Business Administration, each student must complete at least 128 credits from the courses described in section IV.
|Applicable to freshman of academic year 2009|
|Common Compulsory Subjects||Equal||18|
|Compulsory Subjects of this Department||Equal||73|
|Optional Subjects of this Department||At Least||15|
|Optional Subjects of General Education||Equal||18|
|Free optional courses||At Least||6|
|The minimum credits of graduation||At Least||128|
We have two programs about master degree, one is in the day time (Master of Business Administration), and the other is in the night time (Executive Master of Business Administration). To graduate with a MBA, each student must complete at least 35 credits (not included thesis). To graduate with a EMBA, each student must complete at least 30 credits (not included thesis) or 39 credits (use technical report to instead of thesis). Master`s Program
|Applicable to freshman of academic year 2009|
Compulsory Subjects of this Department
Optional Subjects of this Department
|The minimum credits of graduation||At Least||41|
|Table of Compulsory Courses and Academic Credits
Master`s & In-Service Program of Information Management,
Chung-Yuan Christian University
(Applicable to freshman of academic year 2009)
|Seminar on Information Management System||semester||3|
|Business Research Methods||semester||3|
|Special Topics in Business Ethics||semester||2|