Information and Computer Engineering
College of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science - Information and Computer Engineering
The Department is the former Computer Science Sector of the Department of Electronic Engineering which was established in 1973. The sector was separated from the Department and became independent as “Department of Information and Computer Engineering” in the August 1981.
In 1991, the Institute of Information and Computer Engineering was established. In 1993, the Doctorial program of the Information and Computer Engineering was set up as an Information Sector in the Doctorial program of the Electronic Engineering Institute. In 2005, the Institute of Information and Computer Engineering for Continuing Education was also established.
Before 1973, Dr. Huang Yungwen, Dr. Huang Tientzu, Dr. Hsiung Shenkan and Dr. Yang Shi-Nin had successively been the deans of the Department of Electronic Engineering, thus head of the Information and Computer Sector. After 1973, the deans had been successively officiated by Dr. Yang Shi-Nine, Dr. Wang Huang-San, Dr. Hsieh Tsai-Ming, Dr. Chung Bin-Shyan, Dr. Liu Chung-Shyan, Dr. Hsia Yen-Teh and Dr. Tu Chu-Kuei. Currently, the office dean is Dr. Tsai Ming-Dar. Under the leadership of all successive deans, all plans of the department have been implemented swimmingly.
Every year the Department holds two 4-year daily undergraduate classes and one master class and about 157 students were enrolled. In the year 2004, the department had 535 students. We hope the Doctorial program of the Information and Computer Engineering can be separated from the Doctorial program of the Electronic Engineering Institute.
The Department was established to train excellent talents in information and computer technology who have the characteristics of honesty, responsibility and creativeness. Therefore, training of information and computer engineers emphasizes the combination of theory and practice as well as balanced perfectibility education. Graduates are expected to have the professional competence of the outstanding information and computer engineer; to efficiently handle the practical and theoretical problems in information and computer system, and solve various information and computer related problems.
The mission of the Information and computer engineering program are to help the student with: Educating students to become the best quality professionals with integrity, responsibility and Creative characteristics.
- Influencing students to develop their skill with training.
- Focus and balance between theory and practice.
- Giving a balanced holistic education.
- Preparing students to become professionals, leaders and entrepreneurs in the global market.
Preparing students with abilities in a solving problems and good communicate skill that enables them to work as an individual or in a team in an IT environment.
Objectives Considering the missions of the Department, we adopt the following education objectives to implement the teaching of professional courses so as to cultivate students to become excellent information and computer engineers.
- To teach the student to solve problems in information and computer engineering in the principles of applied mathematics, science, engineering and with the method of system analysis and project management. 1.1 Graduates shall have an ability in information and computer system analysis and design, be familiar with programming language, data sturcture and operation system. 1.2 Graduates shall be familiar with computer architecture, and have an ability in software system design and application. 1.3 Graduates shall have basic knowledge in mathematics and physics required for information and computer engineering and information application. 1.4 Graduates shall have mathematical ability in linear algebra, discrete mathematics, numerical method and the ability to use statistics to analyze data and demonstrate information. 1.5 In addition to the system design experience and practical experience, graduates shall have the ability to demonstrate experimental data. 1.6 Graduates shall have the ability to design, analyze and integrate basic information systems. Graduates also need to understand social ecology and economic development.
- Teach the student to give full play to their professional skills and make successful career planning. 2.1 Graduates shall have the ability to perform systems analysis. 2.2 Graduates shall be able to perform plan preparation, efficient schedule management and engineering plans. 2.3 Graduates shall have good oral and written communication skills. 2.4 Graduates shall understand their responsibility in their profession and ethics. 2.5 Graduates shall have a spirit of “teamwork”. 2.6 Graduates shall understand the importance of lifelong learning and be willing to dedicate to learning.
- Offer the student extensive education contents that meet the demands of the global society. 3.1 Graduates shall cognize their engineering roles in the modern society. 3.2 Graduates shall be able to appreciate culture and art. Graduates also shall have basic legal knowledge and have a humanistic quality. 3.3 Graduates shall use English in areas relating to information and computer engineering.
Now information technology is the common things for modern people, and the application surface of information technology is very fast spreading in our daily life. Computer and internet, wireless communication and combinations of media and technology give people traditional way of life, leisure, studying, and business change method. For adaptation and getting opportunity at the economics area, we need to have sufficient knowledge and skill about information technology. This Department of Information and Computer Engineering have two important things to study and practice. With balanced development both of hardware and software, the graduate student can continue their study or working, either at the working area, such as: management of information technology, hardware development, sales engineering, or teacher. And for educational area, such as: continuing research, electrical, electronics, and information management, etc.
We want students to become an excellent professional engineer. The department has an implement professional teaching method at the department courses.
- Teaching students with the principles of mathematics, science and engineering, and systems analysis and project management for resolve information problems.
- Let’s a student can has a career planning with their information skill.
- Provide students with the practical and social needs of the educational content.
Working related area: Faculty, education, research 23.1% Programming software design and development 53.8% Management system, MIS 15% Analysis system, database 0.2% Research and development, testing 7.7% SOHO, other 0.2%
A student who takes the BS degree of Information and Computer Eng. must take 34 credits of holistic courses, and 106 credits of professional courses of Information and Computer Eng. and total 140 credits.
- The graduates able to analysis and design any information and computer systems, even have expert skill to implement some program language, data structure, algorithm, and operating system. Familiar with computer organization and structure, software system design, computer network communications and related application.
- The graduates able to construct any engineering project.
- The graduates should to have a good oral and written communication skill, also have good teamwork skills.
- The graduates able to analysis of design information and computer systems understand about computer architecture or computer organization, and familiar with operating system.
- The graduates able to collect, arrange, and analysis system, have a good verbal and communication skill, and good responsibility.
- Provide the graduates with English ability also with the update news about information engineering.
- A student who takes the MS degree of Information and Computer Eng. Must take 24 credits of advanced professional courses of Information and Compute,pass the required English exam. and pass either course from four following sets of courses. Finally, a MS thesis and an oral examination for the thesis. (1) Algorithms, Graph Theory (2) Operating System, Linux Programming (3) Computer Organization, Computer Architecture (4) Database System, Compiler Construction