College of Engineering - Environmental Engineering
The Department of Bioenvironmental Engineering (BEE) was founded in Dec. 2003 and started recruiting in Aug. 2004 as a new CYCU academic unit, the first defining and establishing a new discipline fusing Biological techniques into environmental engineering in Taiwan. Our department preparation director is Professor C. W. Zhong, and we have had four successive department directors since 2004, Professor C. W. Zhong, Professor C. H. Deng, Professor S. J. You and Y. F. Wang.
The mission of BEE is to advance the living quality of all people in Taiwan and around the world through research and training in environmental engineering. In academy, BEE and Civil Engineering jointly offer a curriculum to students interested in environmental issues. The innovative integrated Bioenvironmental programs created by BEE reflect this emphasis on integrating molecular Biotechnology and environmental engineering by system-oriented engineering analysis and synthesis approach. Our ultimate aim is to create “integrated engineers,” or students who excel in applied engineering and are qualified for solving global pressing environmental problems. The great diversity in BEE graduates’ careers proves that our students are good enough to be recruited by the environmental agencies, research center, consulting companies, and industries.
Until the school year of 2013, we have 233 students for all undergraduate-levels in Bachelor’s Program and our faculty consists of 9 full-time teachers, 6 internal supporting teachers, 12 part-time teachers and 3 staff. Among the 9 full-time teachers, we have 2 professors, 2 associate professors and 5 assistant professors with the ratio of student/faculty about 25.8 . The average age of our faculty is 36 years old. The research areas of our teachers include Water Processing, Air Pollution Control, Soil Remediation, Molecular Biotechnology, Computational Fluid Dynamics, and Environmental Risk Assessment and all of whom apply and integrate into the courses which meets the educational goals of our department. Additionally, rich experiences of our teachers are qualified for teaching two tracks in our department: Environmental Engineering and Biological Engineering. We plan to recruit teachers specialized in Biological Safety, Ecological Changes, Biomass Energy, and other environmental relevant fields in the future.
The establishment of Graduate School enlarges our faculty to 11 teachers and hence we aim at leveling down the student/faculty ratio lower than 20 after the recruitment finishes. The ratio, in fact, is lower than the stipulated one by Ministry of Education. In this way our faculty is far able to deal with the curriculum the department offers. Therefore, our teachers could provide more counseling advice and assistance to promote students’ performance than those in departments with high student/faculty ratios.
Educate the student to become the independent and innovative individual, who can solve current and future environmental problems; Focus the research fields on four categories: environmental Biotechnology, ecological environmental engineering, Biological safety technology, water-soil resource development and pollution control engineering;
Our missions :
- To foster the multidisciplined expert needed by society. To foster the professional students with the multiple abilities of Environment, Energy, Engineering and Biotechnology for Taiwan.
- To cultivate the managing expert with abilities of independent-researching, team cooperation, problem solving and creative learning. We develop curriculums that combine the present science and engineering technology, for training students to think independently with spirit of collaboration and multidiscipline specialty on the base of science education.
- To bread the leading expert who can link the industry and international field of vision. We hope graduate students can nimbly use the professional abilities learned at school to improve topics related to environmental engineering for further sustainable development of themselves and Taiwan.
We are a rising department under the school of Engineering of CYCU, across three fields of Biology, Environment and Engineering. Because of multidisciplined characteristics, students can choose proper courses based on their desired professional fields.
- To strengthen student’s professional ability of Biological technology based on the spindle of Environmental engineering.
- To educate student’s spirit of seeking truth from facts, multidisciplined learning and team-cooperation.
- To discipline students who can fully develop professional skills and widen international view.
Teaching and research activities of our department are carried out through three focuses
- Environmental Molecular Biotechnology and Biomass Energy Development: Bioengineering technology as well as environmental engineering and Biotechnology are applied to improve and solve man-made environmental pollution and problems of ecological changes. The key research areas include Bioremediation, molecular and Biological characterization, and green energy development.
- Environmental Health Risk Assessment and Biosafety Technique: Environmental health information, Biological monitoring, and Bioenvironmental measure model are applied to discuss interactions between environment and human health and to monitor Biological pollution in natural and man-made environments, leading to Biohazards, emerging threats to human health. The key research areas cover the interaction of exposure to diseases and environmental toxics, development and application of Biological markers, and analysis of Bioenvironmental toxic substances.
- Environmental Pollution Prevention and Control: Engineering technologies are applied to investigate and research distribution of pollutants and reduce environmental hazards. Besides, sustainable construction methods, integrating production, life and ecology are applied to protect the natural environment people live in. The key research areas include simulation of pollutant distribution, investigation, analysis and renovate ground water pollution and urban sewage reuse.
The educational goal of our school reads, “Use both hand and brain, expand one’s expertise, and perform holistic care;’ the educational goal of college of engineering is, “Develop practical and excellent engineering talents with firm training, have confidence in one’s profession, hope for the future, and care for the society.”
Based on the educational goals of our school and college of engineering, the educational goals of our department are:
- To train students to solve current and future environmental problems by Bioengineering methods;
- To educate students to be practical and to enhance their learning ability in different areas and teamwork.
- To urge students make good use of their professional skills and expand their international perspectives.
Our department hopes to train students to be specialized in environmental engineering and Bioengineering by the above educational goals and to develop their practical attitude and teamwork by various curriculums. Adding with “International Conference on Environmental Pollution and Human Health,’ every year, academic lectures, and student exchange program to enlarge students’ international perspectives, they can apply the professional skills they have learned in school for their sustainable employment after graduation.
In BEE, the undergraduate curriculum is not only designed to cover the fundamental courses on science and Biology, but also emphasized the application on environmental engineering and Biological technology. Students in BEE spend most of their first two years of undergraduate studies in the Common Curriculum. Most advanced courses are offered in the last two years. There are 25 required courses (69 credits) and the minimum required credit for the bachelor degree is 128 credits.
Foster interdisciplinary professionals,introduce more energy and resource-related courses
- Integration of Energy and Resource Technologies.
- Resource Recycling Technique
- ISO 50001:2011- Energy Management System
- Cleaner Production
101 academic year the beginning of the course to distinguish between three main areas:
- Cleaner Production Program
- Occupational Health and Safety Program
- Energy and Resources Program
|Minimum Credits for Graduation||128|
|Course Type||credit number|
|General Core Courses||20|
|Elective Courses for General Education||14|
|Professional Core Courses||69|
|Professional Elective Courses||at least 25|
The graduate school was allowed to set up in June 2010, and started to enroll students from the 2011 academic year. Now, there are 22 graduate students. Our mission of educational is as following:
- To foster the multidisciplined expert needed by society.
- To cultivate the managing expert with abilities of independent-researching, team cooperation, problem solving and creative learning.
- To bread the leading expert who can link the industry and international field of vision.
The general study period is 2 years with a minimum requirement of 34 credits (including 2 credits of required courses, 26 credits of elective courses and 6 credits for thesis). The course design is divided into:
- Professional courses
- Application Course
- Practice innovative course
|Credits required for graduation|
|Course Type||Credit Number|
|Professional Elective Courses||26|
|Credits for graduation||34|