Department of Electrical Engineering International Master Program
College of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science - Department of Electrical Engineering International Master Program
The Department of Electrical Engineering at Chung Yuan Christian University(cycu),established in 1972, offers B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. degrees in Electrical Engineering. We offer courses and research programs encompassing wide areas of electrical engineering. Faculty members are engaged in research in the following three main groups:
- Power & Energy
- Communications & Control Systems
- Electronic Circuits Design
The Electrical Engineering department has approximately 400 undergraduate and 70 graduate students. There are 18 faculty members, more than half of them have more than two active research projects sponsored by the industry and government funding.The total annual research funding is over 30 million Taiwan dollars.
In a survey of Reputation of Electrical Engineering Graduate Institute in 2009, CYCU-EE department was ranked the 1st place among private universities in Taiwan. Moreover, CYCU-EE was ranked the 1st place among private universities to be the favorite engineering department by Taiwan enterprises in 2013.
Electrical Engineering department is the first to be accredited by Institute of Engineering Education Taiwan (IEET) among nationwide Electrical Engineering school. The accreditation serves the guarantees of the educational quality, core competencies, and competitiveness in the job market for students in our department.
The department aims at training students to be intellectually, ethically, and professionally capable in the field of electrical engineering, and also at devoting its resources to academic research with the aim of serving the nation and society, and promoting the welfare of human beings. In terms of teaching, the Department of Electrical Engineering strives to balance both theory and practice, to develop independent thinking, innovation, and problem solving ability in students, and to encourage team spirit and respect for the profession; and subsequently lay down the foundation for a lifetime of learning and the ability to face the challenges of the 21st Century. In terms of research and service, the Department of Electrical Engineering strives to devote itself to relevant research fields in electronic engineering, pursue new knowledge, and cooperate with the needs of the nation and society to promote economical development and people`s well-being.
The professional fields of the faculty members cover all technologies of Electrical engineering including 3 main groups as below:
- Power & Energy Group
The research fields and courses of Power & Energy group of E.E. Dept. focus on Smart Grid, Microgrid, Intelligent Computation, Wind Power System, Solar Power System, Power Quality, Railway Power System, Power Electronics and Protective Relaying. Four laboratories are included: Intelligent System on Power Engineering Research Lab, Electrical Power and Environment Research Lab, Power System and Energy Research Lab and Smart Grid Research Lab.
- Communications & Control Systems Group
The Communications and Control Systems group comprises two major research concentrations. The control systems concentration consists of four main laboratories: System Cybernetics Research Laboratory, Active Noise Control Laboratory, Modern Control & Application Laboratory, and Systems Control Laboratory. The main research areas are focus on advanced signal processing and control systems integration. The latest research encompasses wide range of designs including state-of-the-art medical devices, active noise control system, green energy conversion, robotics, and system estimation and identification.
There are five faculty members conducting researches in the concentration of Communications and Networking. Our research topics are focus on network coding, image processing, and system design of 5G mobile Communications. The main strengths and specialties include network security, software defined networking and FPGA system design for high-speed networking systems.
- Electronic Circuits Design Group
In this field, the research work includes two parts. One is called “analogue circuit design” and the other is called “Power Electronics“.
In analogue circuit design, a variety of Butterworth filters, Chebyshev filters, Elliptic filters, and quadrature oscillators, arbitrary-phase-shift oscillators are investigated, innovated, and improved.
Program duration and degree offered
- Master’s programs must be completed within 1-4 years.
- Each master student must complete at least 24 credits of coursework and 2 credits of Seminar plus 6 credits of master thesis.
Program contact information & contact person
Program coordinator: Prof. Cheng-Yuan Chang, e-mail: email@example.com
Founded in 1972, the Electrical Engineering Department aims at training electrical engineering talents for needs of national development. With the efforts of all faculty and students more than twenty years, the department has grown in strength with increasing research capacity, teaching excellence, and students’ quality. It has become one of the most promising and vigorous departments in Taiwan. At present, the department has eight classes of students in Bachelor’s program, and offers Master’s and Doctor’s programs with more than 700 students in totality.
- Training electrical engineering talents with excellent professional abilities, good humanistic quality, and capability of taking a leadership position in the broad aspects of electrical engineering.
- Pursuing academic research in electrical engineering related fields and combining it with actual applications to promote industrial evolutions and economical developments.
- Expanding academic resources and research results in engineering to serve the society.
Educational Objectives of the Department Electrical Engineering of Chung Yuan Christian University
Considering the mission and objectives of the Department, we will adopt the following education targets to implement the teaching of the professional courses so as
to cultivate excellent talents in electrical engineering:
- Teaching students in using principles in mathematics, science and engineering to solve the problems in electrical engineering.
- Teaching students in giving full play to their professional skills and make successful career planning.
- Offering students with extensive education contents that meet the demands of globalization and society.
Teaching students in using principles in mathematics, science and engineering to solve the problems in electrical engineering.
- Graduates shall be able to analyze and design systems, be familiar with electrical systems, electrical machines, control theory and their applications, as well as the basic professional knowledge of communication systems.
- Graduates shall be familiar with computer application and data structure, electronic circuit courses and shall have ability in software design and application.
- Graduates shall master the knowledge of basic mathematics and physics required for electrical engineering and its application.
- Graduates shall have mathematical ability in linear algebra, numeric method and differential equation.
- Graduates shall have the ability to analyze data and derive results with applied probability and statistics.
- Graduates shall have the ability to design, analyze and integrate the electrical system, electrical machine, control theory and application, communication system and other areas in electrical engineering, and shall understand the social ecology and economic development.
Teaching students in giving full play to their professional skills and make successful career planning.
- Graduates shall have the ability to analyze engineering economics.
- Graduates shall have the ability to prepare plans, execute effective schedule management and implement the engineering plan.
- Graduates shall have communication skills in making oral and written reports.
- Graduates shall understand their responsibilities in professional and ethics.
- Graduates shall have ability in multi-discipline team cooperation.
- Graduates shall understand the importance of life-long learning and be willing to dedicate to learning.
Offering students with extensive education contents that meet the demands of globalization and society.
- Graduates shall recognize their engineering roles in the modern society.
- Graduates shall be able to appreciate culture and art, have basic law knowledge and have a humanistic quality.
- Graduates shall at least use English in areas relating to electrical engineering.
CURRICULA & CREDITS
The term of study for the master students shall take one to four years.
Master students must complete at least 32 credits, consisting of 2 credits for seminars, 24 credits for elective courses and 6 credits for thesis.
For other graduation requirements please see graduate guidelines of EE.
The students can choose their research work from an exhaustive list of specialization including electrical power, power system and energy, smart grid, system cybernetics, active noise control, modern control and application, system control, computer network and system, coding theory, signal and processing, power electronics, analog circuit design research.
Seminar (2 credit units) Master Thesis (6 credit units)
|Sen M. Kao||Emeritus Chair Professor|
|CHANG, CHUN MING||Professor|
|HONG, YING YI||Distinguished Professor|
|LIN, KANG PING||Distinguished
|CHEN, TE SHING||Instructor|
|TWU, SHIH HSIUNG||Associate Professor|
|WU, TSAN-MING||Associate Professor|
|HSU, SHIH CHE||Assistant Professor|
|HSUE, WEN-LIANG||Assistant Professor|
|LAI YU-KUEN||Associate Professor|
|LEE, CHUN-YAO||Associate Professor|
|WANG, JIA-YIN||Assistant Professor|
|YU, JEN-TE||Assistant Professor|