College of Design - Commercial Design
The Department of Commercial Design at Chung Yuan Christian University was founded in 1984, as an academic unit under the College of Business. In 1992, the university established the College of Design which was the first of its kind in the nation. The college now consists of Departments of Commercial Design, Architecture, and Interior Design, and Landscape Architecture. In 1999, the Department began to offer Master Degree Programs, including a Master Degree Program for Working Professionals.
The curriculum comprises of four core areas: design, humanities, technology and marketing. The objective of both undergraduate and master degree programs is to nurture students becoming strategic thinking and problem-solving design professionals.
- Faculty The expertise of the Department Faculty correlates to the above mentioned four areas: design, humanities, technology and marketing; while their academic backgrounds span the continents of Europe, America, Australia and Asia. The Department also recruits skilled individuals from business and industry sectors as adjunct professors, offering first hand professional knowledge and practices.
- Resources The Commercial Design Department has established several design/study centers to facilitate practical learning as well as creative research. These up-to-date and well equipped centers include the Cultural Innovation Research Center; the Audio and Video Experimentation Lab; and the Digital Research Lab. In addition, the Department has also sponsored seminars, lectures, workshops, design internships, as well as industry-academia cooperation programs at both national and international levels.
- Career Path Graduates from the Commercial Design Department are offered with a wide range of career choices, including visual communications, advertisement design, market planning, media planning, brand development, multimedia design, web design, interactive design, and the likes. Majority of our graduates are able to secure employment within half a year from graduation; in the past, more than two-thirds of them work in design related fields. A good number of students graduated with master degrees work for renowned companies in the areas of design planning and/or marketing.
The education mission of the CYCU`s Department of Commercial Design is to equip students with the key design and marketing competencies, in order for them to excel in design related fields.
Our aim is to guide students to make use of their knowledge and talents to solve problems related to natural resources and environment through efforts in design thinking that focuses on sustainability. Our goal is to guide students to contribute to the sustainability of humankind, exploring the new philosophy of civilization through the process of self-discovery and self-examination.
We believe every design task needs to have a clear objective and target audience. Strategy and concept should come before words, colors and images. Aesthetic sense has most value when it is based on a strategy or a concept. Only if students take on challenges with this mentality, will they avoid producing beautiful words, gorgeous colors or amazing images without a real purpose or fail to influence. We believe one must possess two traits in order to excel: A. Attitude. A humble attitude that it is self motivating and respects the others. B. Ability. An ability to think independently and to learn continuously. The curriculum is planned based on the above mission and objectives, with eight university identified core competencies in mind.
|Enthusiasm:||1. Sense of responsibility and being proactive|
|Teamwork:||2. Able to be a team player and having the ability to co-ordinate|
|3. Care for the society|
|Strategic Thinking:||4. Able to think strategically and having problem solving ability|
|5. Appreciation for the arts and humanities|
|6. Marketing and planning ability as well as communication skills|
|Efficiency:||7. Design abilities|
|8. Ability to apply technology|
- Teaching and Learning:
- Implement holistic general education.
- Raise education quality of both basic and specialized curriculum.
- Enrich and upgrade faculty quality.
- Continue to expand industry-academia cooperation, encourage internships.
- Nurture independent thinking and problem solving skills.
- Encourage students to be more international while strengthening their foreign language abilities.
- Expand and well utilize educational resources and improve the teaching/learning environment.
- Research and Development:
- Enrich research resources.
- Promote the balance between theoretic and applied research.
- Promote integrated research projects.
- Strengthen international academic exchange.
- Service and Contribution:
- Promote service learning activities.
- Respond to the government policy of “striding towards learning from society” and promote “life-long learning”.
- Take part in community projects and resources sharing.
- Strengthen alumni relations.
The curriculum of CYCU`s Department of Commercial Design integrates three main areas: 1) Strategic Thinking, 2) Practical Experience and 3) Holistic Education. We offer one of the most unique curriculum in the nation, nurturing students to be competitive in the 21st century. Instructional emphases of the program are: basic design and digital technology, strategic thinking, teamwork and holistic education. Students will equipped with eight core competencies listed above after four years of education. Consequently, students will be ready for their career challenges in the 21st century.
The CYCU Commercial Design Graduate Program is a continuation of the undergraduate education. which aim to further develop students` potential in "design, humanities, technology and marketing". The program advocates the integration of innovation, planning, technology and business.
The characteristics of the program is to educate students to transform tangible technical skills into intangible design thinking and emotional communications; and balancing left-brain`s "information processing capabilities" with right-brain`s "conceptual thinking capabilities".
The graduate studies emphasize on design planning which involves research, surveys, analysis and strategic planning, as well as execution which involves integration, presentation, application and marketing.
The definition of a good design today is considered to be beyond geographic boundaries, customs and culture differences. Good designs must fulfill social context, and user’s needs. Therefore, we believe in offering programs that combines theory and practice, by strengthening the links between government, industry, academia, and establishing a platform of cooperation between industry and academia
We incorporate with research and development units, incubation centers and venture capital firms to support faculty and students to achieve faculty, students and department goals. Furthermore, we host national and international industry-academia design forums and conferences regularly to broaden students` exposure, to nurture them with marketing and coordination abilities, diverse creative abilities, and practical implementation skills.