College of Engineering - Civil Engineering
The Department of Civil Engineering was establish in 1955 and one of the four founding department of Chung Yuan Christian University. In 1956, the Department of Hydraulic Engineering was later on established. In order to accommodate MOE’s policy of integrating different departments, and for better utilizing resources and facilities to enhance teaching and research performances, the two departments were combined into the Department of Civil and Hydraulic Engineering on Aug. 1st, 1981. Starting from 1982, graduate programs were offered to increase potential in researches and developments.
Starting from the academic year of 1988, the Department of Civil and Hydraulic Engineering resumed its original name of the Department of Civil Engineering and started to offer doctoral programs in the academic year of 1996. For more than 50 years, the Department of Civil Engineering has cultivated many talents and professionals both in the academic fields and the industries. Graduated students can be found working in various domestic and overseas engineering organizations and higher education and research institutions. In 2004, programs offered by the Department of Civil Engineering of CYCU were accredited by IEET.
- 1960 – Jen-tai Wang – current President of DACIN Construction Co. ltd
- 1962- Chia-wu Cheng – former President of Chinese Cultural University and Yuan Pei University
- 1962 – Chaio-fuei Ouyang – former President of Engineering College of National Central University
- 1963 –Shun-tyan Chen – former President of National Taiwan University ofScience and Technology
- 1963 – Chao-kang Hu – former Director of Sewage Systems Office
- 1963 – Wen-i Wang – former General Manager of the Great Taipei Gas Corporation
- 1964 –Robert R. Hwang – former President of National Taiwan Ocean University
- 1965 – Wen-hsiung Li – member of Academic Sinica and National Academy of Sciences, Professor of University of Chicago
- 1965 –Wen-je Wang – former President of the Continental Engineering Corp.
- 1967 –Cheng-hsiung Lai – former Deputy Mayor of Hualien County
- 1978 –Chih-Kuo Kung – former President of Kainan University
- 1978 –Lau-kin Long – Deputy Director General of Directorate General of Highways of Ministry of Transportation and Communications
- 1968 –Chien-i Hsu – board of directors of MAA Group
- 1969 – She-pi Chen – former Political Deputy Minister of Ministry of Transportation and Communications, former Director General of Directorate General of Highways
- 1969 – Chi-hai Wu – former President of T.N.C Industrial Co. ltd.
- 1977 – Che Chiang – Principle of Kao Hsung Lichih Senior High school
- 1980 – Fang Chang – Deputy Director General of National Property Administration
Our mission is to contribute to society by providing appropriate academic support services for students to be intellectual, moral, and professional in the field of civil engineering. It can be specified as the following core characteristics:
- a commitment to excellence in a learning environment dedicated to enhance students’ fundamental knowledge and expertise as well as their self-learning ability in life-long learning, in order to help students become well-established and fully prepared for future challenges.
- a commitment to excellence in undergraduate education, graduate education, research, and public service, which designed to address students’ professional skills, leadership, team work and excellent working attitude in order to promote high levels of student achievement.
- a responsibility to excellence and academic achievements having national and international recognition by encouraging all the members in the department to contribute time and expertise to social services and to international affairs and governance.
With its mission and core characteristics, the Department of Civil Engineering endeavors to balance both theory and practice as well as to develop independent thinking, innovation, and problem solving ability in students. We believe that, with the effort to establish the foundation of lifetime learning in students, they would have the ability to face the challenges of the 21st Century.
The Department of Civil Engineering continues to recruit outstanding faculty to support the teaching, research and service mission of the University. We also enhance the teaching environment to attract excellent students. All students who complete an undergraduate or graduate program should be able to:
- Demonstrate expertise in mathematic, science and engineering fields
- Work productively and efficiently as individuals or in groups
- Have the ability to self-learning and engage in lifelong learning
- Have the ability to understand and relate the larger world of multidiscipline in the arts, sciences, and technology
- Think critically and creatively
- Communicate effectively
- Use their skills and expertise to fulfill the social responsibilities
- Make decisions based on an global vision, an awareness of environmental protection and an understanding of ethics
The Department of Civil Engineering puts emphasis on the balance between theory education and practical applications. Through its programs and practices, the students who complete an undergraduate or graduate program should have broad opportunities and multiple career development paths, which can be summarized as follows:
- Academic field: Graduates in CYCU are highly qualified and can apply for domestic graduate schools of Civil Engineering, Hydraulic Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Construction and Planning Management, Transportation Engineering or related studies, or apply for overseas graduate schools.
- Research Institutions: Graduates in CYCU have ability to bridge between multidiscipline and collaborates with other outstanding overseas research institutions to conduct visionary researches. For instance, Academia Sinica; Harbor and Martine Technology center; Telecommunication Laboratories, or teaching in any Civil Engineering, Hydraulic Engineering and Environmental Engineering Department of different universities and colleges…etc.
- Employment opportunities: Students can work in domestic construction companies or governmental agencies. Private organizations or corporations, such as China Engineering Consultants, Incorporated; CECI; Sinotech Engineering Consultants Inc.; MAA Group Consulting Engineers; CTCI Corporation; Continental Engineering Corporation, and many other construction, engineering and design companies.
- Service: Providing technical support and knowledge to governmental organizations and related industries for society. Governmental agencies, such as Council of Agriculture, Executive Yuan; Soil and Water Conservation Bureau; Ministry of Transportation and Communications; Taiwan Area National Expressway Engineering Bureau; Taiwan Area National Freeway Bureau; Directorate General of Highways; Maritime Administration; Underground Railways Office; Department of Irrigation and Engineering; Water Resources Agencies; Hydraulic Engineering Office; River Management Office; Industrial Development Bureau; Land Consolidation Engineering Bureau, Ministry of Interior; Department of Constructions of different Municipalities, Cities and Counties; Public Works Department; Taiwan Water Corporation; Taiwan Power Company and CPC Corporation Taiwan…etc.
There are more than 8500 alumni of the Department of Civil Engineering. They all have outstanding achievements in many related fields.
The field of civil engineering involves a broad range of areas. Our undergraduate programs focus on training engineers with basic knowledge in different professional fields. The focus of courses is on providing students with both basic engineering concepts and knowledge of different applications of professional engineering.
The normal duration for the undergraduate program is 4 years. Students, who have successfully completed and passed 138 credits of courses, shall receive the B.S. Degree conferred by the Department of Civil Engineering, Chung Yuan Christian University. It is important that undergraduate students have an opportunity to verify some of the ideas for themselves. Thus, five laboratories are built for undergraduates in order to provide an experimental foundation for the theoretical concepts introduced in the lectures.
- Surveying Laboratory: the laboratory aids in the developments of fundamental laboratory on land surveying to civil engineering students. Instruments for distance measurements and for measuring heights of the objects are available for learning purposes. Students are encouraged to practice land surveying techniques, using variety of surveying equipments ranging from GPS, infrared distance sensors traditional levels etc.
- Engineering Material Laboratory: the laboratory aims to introduce basic material testing procedures to students. Our focus is on the materials which are extensively used in the civil engineering discipline, such as cement, aggregate, concrete, steel timber and bricks. The standard established by American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) and Chinese National Standards (CNS) are addressed in the related courses.
- Soil Mechanics Laboratory: the laboratory enables students to study the physical properties of soil by preparing the samples and performing several basic soil testing procedures, such as unconfined compression and direct shear tests. This can help students understand more about the limitations of various types of soils under different conditions. ASTM standards are also emphasized.
- Structures Laboratory: the main focus of the laboratory is to address some critical issues in structural mechanics and materials. An understanding of the relationship between stress and strain is crucial to the insight to the deformation and failure processes in structures. Also, the laboratory uses experimental, modeling, and computational tools to investigate the vibration of structures, and predict their behavior under different loading conditions.
- Hydraulics Lab: the lab aims to help students developing, testing and implementing the experiments of water and the environment. Flumes are provided in the laboratory for analysis of unidirectional flow. Equipments are also available for detailed measurements of flow velocity and turbulence and water surface.
The laboratories are not expecting students to get the "right answer." The purpose is to learn how to gain knowledge by observing the reality as well as to analyze the obtained information.
Graduate programs in the Department of Civil Engineering focus on four different areas including: Structural Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Transportation Engineering and Hydraulic Engineering. Apart from the basics, practical applications and designing are also incorporated in many courses.
MS Program The normal duration for the M.S. program is 2 years. Students, who have successfully completed and passed 34 credits of courses (including 4 credits of Seminar and 6 credits of Master Thesis) and oral defense for thesis within the stipulated time period, shall receive the M.S. Degree conferred by the Department of Civil Engineering, Chung Yuan Christian University. More details on this requirement will be available upon request.
Ph.D. Program The normal duration for the Ph.D. program is about 3 to 6 years. Student has to complete and pass 37 credits of courses (including 4 credits of Seminar and 12 credits of Doctoral Thesis). Before the final oral defense, students must have published certain amount of journal or conference papers. The details regarding the quality and quantity of the publication will be available upon request.