College of Engineering - Chemical Engineeringwebsite Link
The Department of Chemical Engineering of Chung Yuan Christian University was established in 1955, one of the four founding departments. In 1974,the graduate program of Applied Chemistry was offered, which was later renamed to the Graduate Program of Chemical Engineering in 1980. The doctoral program was also established during the same year.
Through out the years, the department of Chemical Engineering has cultivated many distinguished alumni. Till the end of the academic year of 2011, total number of alumni obtaining a bachelor degree is 6705, 762 with a master degree and 41 with a PhD degree.According to the report of Higher Education Evaluation Accreditation Council of Taiwan, the ranking of our university in the quantity and quality of research publications in the field of Chemical Engineering is placed on top 3 for all universities in Taiwan. It is the best research performance compared to all private universities and better than most of the national universities in Taiwan.
The goals of Chemical Engineering are the utilization of the physical and chemical sciences in the economical design and operation of processing plants in industry. To meet these goals, the Department offers a wide variety of courses, includes fundamentals of chemical engineering, required courses, and elective courses, which cover the various area of the discipline.
We have strong and widely-recognized graduate programs in which both Master`s and Ph.D. degrees can be pursued. The Graduate School of the Department also offers a large selection of courses in various specialized areas. The Chemical Engineering Department has 22 faculty members engaged in graduate teaching and research, moreover, the members received many prominent awards such as, National Chair Professorship, Academic Award of Ministry of Education, Ta-You Wu Memorial Award, Outstanding Research Award of National Science Council, and Distinguished Teaching Award of CYCU.
The faculty members in the department belong to R&D Center for Membrane Technology, R&D Center for Environment Science and 17 research laboratories in different research area of Chemical Engineering, Materials, Energy Technology and Biochemical Engineering. The equipments and facilities in theses research centers and laboratories are worth more than 6 million US dollars. Moreover, R&D center for membrane technology has not only become a key feature of our university, but also developed into an international renowned R&D center.
- 1964-Lai,Juin-Yin- Chair Professor of Chemical Engineering of CYCU
- 1968- Tsao,Ming- President of CPC Corporation Taiwan.
- 1968-Hung,Fu-Yuan-President of Formosa Chemicals Fiber Corporation
- 1969- Chu,Shao-Hua-President of CPC Corporation Taiwan.
- 1970- Su,Feng-Chen- Chairman of Enviro-Chem Company
- 1972- Huang,Teng-Hsiang - Chief Executive Officer of petrochemical business Div of CPC Corporation Taiwan.
- 1973-Chung,Tai-Sheng- Professor of Department of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering of National University of Singapore.
- 1975-Chu,Chiu-Lung-Secretary of Environmental Protection Bureau of Taoyuan Country Government
- 1976-Liu,Ping-Huang-Chairman of Hai-Shan Education Foundation
The primary mission of our Department is to cultivate excellent chemical engineers who possess top notch professional skills and creativity. In order to excel in their future career, we especially emphasize on the integrity, working ethics and endurance of our students. The solid training of our curriculum and examples set by our faculty members would be a vital part of this program. These, along with the open yet self-disciplined atmosphere of CYCU campus, would guarantee the development of ingenious minds who will lead the industry, society and future innovations.
In order to fulfill our mission as an excellent academic institute, the primary objectives are set as following categories to cultivate top-quality chemical engineers and scholars: Prepare students for solid foundation of professionalism and lifelong, self-motivated learning capability to stand out in fast changing modern technology.
- Graduated students should possess solid understandings of physics, chemistry, Biology and mathematics.
- Graduated students can utilize modern information technology and direct their knowledge toward solving complex problems.
- Graduated students can analyze micro- and macro- aspects in wide spectrums of mass-energy balance and transport phenomena.
- Graduated students can examine the current trend of modern industry and adapt to novel ideas
- Graduated students should devote to their lifelong quest toward better knowledge and welfare of the society.
Teach students vigorously to affiliate with indigenous practice and quest for authenticity in order to fortify multi-disciplinary cooperation and learning motivation.
- Graduated students should be able to plan and execute projects to show their proper management skills.
- Graduated students should possess capabilities to carry out system analysis and process design.
- Graduated students should be prepared for their data mining, statistical analysis , oral and document presentation skills.
- Graduates students should bear in mind the general safety and hazardous environmental regualtions.
- Graduated students take responsibility and enjoy group-working environment.
Cultivation of solid integrity and working ethics and positive thinking toward future career and challenges.
- Graduated student should understand the professional responsibility and ethics.
- Graduated students should reckon engineers’ role and moral obligation in modern society.
- Graduated students should possess good communication and negotiation skills.
- Graduated students should be familiar with modern world issues and communicate with foreign languages.
Future prospective: With both flourishing graduate and undergraduate programs, Department of Chemical Engineering at CYCU focuses on offering top-quality professional with emphasis on specific academic fields. We are vowed to follow the university’s motto of “Education through honest, diligent pursuit and practical experience” and progress in the following directions.
Undergraduate program: The primary emphases of our curriculum are to cultivate top-quality engineers in both theoretical knowledge and professional practices. Moreover, it is also vital to help student to develop humanity enlightenment and lifelong self-learning interests. We are now making important progresses in allying interdisciplinary programs through school wide cooperation. In addition, our department makes significant efforts to set up competitive bilingual curriculum and encourage our students to participate international academic events. Our deep connections in Taiwan’s energetic chemical industry have allowed us to forge solid collaboration between industrial practices and educational interests. This alliance would benefit both prospective students for their successful careers and future commercial innovations. Toward this goal, we are devoted to
(a) Integrate the future industrial trend into practical training in process engineering and technology applications.
(b) Emphasize on the planning and organizing of industrial internship to help students in their careers.
(c) Fortify topics on industrial practice and catalyze the integration of knowledge and technology.
One of our important missions is to carry out key technology breakthroughs for Taiwanese people in order to upgrade industrial infrastructure and answer the call from our society. Our educational goal in this stage would stress more on the cultivation of creative thinking and undaunting explorations. Currently, we are focusing on the integration of green technology and cleaner process design. The ultimate milestone would be the selection of R&D specialists who will be the leaders to spark our academic, industrial and national security circles.
The strategic directions of our institute would be: green science, Bio-medical materials, Biochemical applications, and clean process design. We are consistently employing top-notch scientists to strengthen our faculty positions in highly specialized research fields. These efforts would be
(a) Integration of Laboratories and research facilities
(b) Deepening industrial-academia connections for better teaching and research results.
(c) Facilitate international research cooperation to improve the academic scope and level of competitive graduate students.
There are 81 required credits , 26 elective credits and 34 general credits for graduation in the undergraduate program. Our undergraduate program includes required courses and elective courses. For elective courses, the faculty provides the following specialized fields
- Material Engineering
- Process Engineering
- Biochemical Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
The master`s and Ph.D. program are designed to offer the opportunity for the student to study chemical engineering techniques as used in industry and academic research. The graduate programs include: membrane separation, membrane procession organic synthesis, fluidization engineering, polymer procession, reaction engineering, process control, solid-liquid separation, Biochemical engineering, Biofuel, air pollution control, themodynamics and thermodynamics, Bio-fluid dynamics, drug transportation, separation technology, electronic materials, process engineering, and plasma process. Each year the department gets more than 2million US dollar R&D fund form the National Science Council, Ministry of Education , Ministry of Economic Affairs and industry.
For Graduate Program:
- Each master student must complete at least 24 credits of coursework plus 6 credits of master thesis.
- Each PhD. student must complete at least 18redits of coursework plus 6 credits of master thesis.